My medium is collage. I love expressing myself through this medium. Making collages allows me to create my own reality. Through my work, I have the perpetual opportunity to materialize what I visualize and provide evidence of contact with the universal creative force beyond time.
Putting my creative process and experience into words is extremely trying for me. Ironically though, writing this artist statement and making collages are kindred activities. In both cases the first step is to assemble all the ingredients that will best convey my message and ultimately organize a collection of parts into a cohesive whole.
The notion of order in chaos is endlessly fascinating to me.
I love being the architect of psychedelic landscapes by arranging images that I find and isolating them from their reality by cutting them out and injecting them into my reality when I glue them down.
In my choices of images and other mediums you will find, hand made papers of all kinds, glow in the dark stickers, and even glitter. I love images of nature, architecture, people, animals, spiritual and religious causes like Sadhuism, Shamanism, and modern and ancient tribes - just to mention some of the subject matter that intrigues me.
In 2006 I discovered resin. I immediately realized that this would be a great addition to my work. That autumn, I made my first collage using resin and adopted a process where I pour a two-part mixture over the collaged surface and let it harden over night. I then add more images and pour resin again and let it harden once again. I do this until I have between 9 and 14 layers with images and papers, etc. between each of those resin layers. This lends a whole other dimension that projects real shadows within the collage. Having the whole piece encapsulated in resin also protects the collaged materials in an amazing way from degrading over time.
Through my work, I aspire to create wonder and to enhance mindfulness, concentration, tranquility and insight in myself as well as my audience. I hope that when others view my collages it helps them to interpret life positively and to bring that energy and positivity with them out in to our world.
Sebastian Wahl Images:
Blog Posts Featuring Sebastian Wahl
- Let's Review... // posted 12.16.2011
- Sebastian Wahl's Moog Collage Mural // posted 11.04.2011
- Who doesn't love paper? // posted 06.17.2011
- Pulse and Volta Art Fairs NYC 2011 // posted 03.03.2011
- Sebastian Wahl's SF trip and studio visit with Robert Hardgrave. // posted 02.24.2011
- Sebastian Wahl: Kaleidoscope Eyes Video // posted 02.18.2011
- Opening Reception of Kaleidoscope Eyes // posted 02.11.2011
- Kaleidoscope Eyes in San Francisco Chronicle // posted 02.03.2011
- Interview: Sebastian Wahl // posted 02.02.2011
- Studio Visit: Sebastian Wahl // posted 01.26.2011
- Kaleidoscope Eye // posted 01.13.2011
- Art Basel Miami & Pulse Art Fair // posted 12.14.2010
- Alarm Press Gallery Spotlight // posted 11.23.2010
- My picks for this weekends art events. // posted 10.08.2010
- Highly Contagious Closing Party!!! // posted 10.06.2010
- Photos from Sebastian Wahl // posted 09.28.2010
- Pictures from installation week. // posted 09.24.2010
- Artist Feature: Sebastian Wahl // posted 08.05.2010